How to Find the Best Gay Dating App for You
There are many different sites for a hookup with gay men, but not every platform is created equal. While many gay men tend to just use the same dating app as their friends do, these are often the same fellows who wonder why they aren’t having any luck online! Any gay hookup app will go through phases: some years will be better than others. As such, which dating app is the best gay dating app varies by year, but there are actually a wide variety of factors that affect a dating platform’s performance. As members switch between platforms, the user base will go up & down, presenting singles with more (or fewer) potential matches. Of course, this isn’t a universal change—numbers in one city may go up while another might go down. That’s why the main factor that makes the “best” app the “best” app isn’t actually the app itself: it’s the location where the app is being used!
How Do the Best Gay Dating App Work?
We’ve already established that which gay dating app is considered to be the “best gay dating app” is mainly dictated by the location where it’s used. An app with more local users means more local matches, giving you a better chance at finding a compatible partner! However, the actual design of the app is also important. Modern options all feature easy-to-use interfaces, some level of mobile compatibility, and a small (or large) variety of ways that members can contact each other. All of the sites listed below excel in the performance department, though, so you won’t need to worry about a lack of features. Instead, test them out to determine which one has the highest number of users in your area: that one will likely give you the best chance at finding “the one”!
Gay Dating App
|Dating site||Cost||Visit site|
Offering a large, laid-back community of gay & bisexual men looking for fellow singles is GaysTryst, a male-exclusive matchmaking site with over 350,000 members. This site is especially popular with older gay men, making it ideal for men over the age of 45 to find a date. GaysTryst has a “Safe Mode” that allows users to limit interactions to verified members only, reducing the likelihood of a poor experience on the site. This “app” is actually a website that has a mobile-optimized version for on-the-go-date, meaning it can be used on virtually any type of device! Although you can create an account for free, essential features like messaging require a premium membership. Prices start at $0.99 per day (for the one-day trial).
Perhaps the most well-known application for LGBT dating (iOS & Android), Grindr is certainly the best at marketing, but is it the best at performance & getting real results? Well, it depends on what you’re looking for. Out of the 27 million men using the platform, the vast majority are looking for a hookup: at most, they might be interested in casual flirting to see where the conversation goes. The location-based matchmaking system (complete with free use of essential features) makes it a solid option for finding men in your local area, but the $13/month membership fees may not be worth it if you’re after some serious romance!
If you’re an Android user in search of the perfect gay dating app for finding a little bit of everything, look no further than the Scruff app! iOS users may be out of luck, but Android members on this platform can enjoy casual sex, serious relationships, friendship, and a bit of networking in this popular community of over 3.6 million LGBT individuals. While the site is open to females, the majority of members are men, giving it a lot of potential for finding a gay man nearby.
Chappy was a gay dating app designed for finding serious homosexual relationships. Unfortunately, the Chappy app no longer exists: it was merged with Bumble. Although Bumble is a more female-oriented service, it nonetheless offers a large community of over 11 million members, a simplistic matchmaking system, and dedicated mobile apps (iOS & Android). You can use Bumble for free, but there’s also a paid version that provides a variety of perks starting at $24.99 per month.
With a community that’s 61% men, Feeld can definitely help singles (or couples) find an interested partner(s) for a threesome. This gay dating app has over two million users, offers low premium plans (starting at just $11.99/month), and even allows members to create couples accounts! Unfortunately, access is limited strictly to mobile devices, but both iOS & Android users have a dedicated app they can use to find a threesome. As one might expect, serious romantic opportunities are limited on this site (unless you’re looking for a polyamorous relationship).
This male-only gay dating app claims to have over 1.5 million users on its platform. You can use this platform for both finding casual encounters & a date, making it a good multipurpose dating service. Similar to Snapchat, photos/videos sent on Surge are deleted after being viewed, allowing for a sense of security when sending risque messages. The platform is mainly popular with younger singles under 35. Although the app (available on both iOS & Android) can be used for free, the premium plans offer bonuses like being able to see who “liked” you for the low price of $4.99/month.
Must-Follow Dating Rules on Best Gay Dating Apps
- Always complete your profile – Whenever you sign up for a new gay dating app, it’s important that you make sure your profile looks immaculate. This means uploading a full set of photos, filling out any information fields, & posting a status (if applicable). It might be tempting to save this for later, but you should always fill in your information when creating a new account. If not, you might be mistaken for a fake account, which makes it unlikely that anyone will contact you first (or even respond to a message you sent!).
- Stay active online – When looking for people to chat with, most gay singles will look to see who’s been recently active on the dating app. Try to log in at least once a day for the best results. Otherwise, people may assume you’re inactive & won’t reach out to you.
- Set expectations upfront – Gay singles join the best online dating platforms for a variety of reasons. Some may only be interested in hookups, some might want a casual relationship, whereas others might be ready to settle down. When chatting with someone new, you should always clearly establish the type of relationship you’re looking for. This will help you determine if a meetup is worth pursuing.
- Don’t rush into romance – While it can be easy to become enamored by someone’s messages, it’s important to keep things realistic. Until you actually meet someone in real life, it’s unlikely that you know what they’re really like. Many people act entirely differently in person, so don’t fall head over heels for someone before actually meeting them. You might be setting yourself up for disappointment if the personalities don’t match!
- Meet in public for the first time – Even though you may trust the person entirely, it’s always best to play it safe, so meet in a public place for the first date. Great options are a restaurant, the movies, or a local park!
What is the best gay dating app for serious relationships?
With over ten years of proven service, GaysTryst is truly the best gay dating app for finding real romance online.
Are these gay dating apps legit?
Of course! We recommend trying out a few different services before making a commitment!
What are some tips for using the best gay dating apps?
For the best results, you’ll want to keep your options open. Until you’ve established that you’re exclusive with someone, you should message multiple people for maximum dating potential!